We invite you to affirm one of the life lessons Kipling encouraged in his venerated poem “IF” in fiction, non-fiction or both. Choose one principle from Kipling’s poem (ex. “If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs and blaming it on you” or “If you can make one heap of all your winnings and risk it on one turn of pitch and toss, and lose, and start again at your beginnings and never breath a word about your loss”) and demonstrate its meaning through story (fiction) or an article (non-fiction).
- $500 First-Place Cash Prizes in Fiction and Non-Fiction Categories
- Free to Enter (no fees)
- Open to All (Under 18 with permission of guardian.)
- Cash prizes will also be awarded for 2nd and 3rd place in each category, and your entry will be published in our online literary magazine “All Things If”.
- Winners will be chosen by reader votes and the editorial board of All Things If, so invite everyone you know to read and vote for you!
Guidelines for Submitting and Voting
PLEASE READ THE CONTEST GUIDELINES CAREFULLY! The contest is maintained in our FORUM for registered users, which allows you to submit your entries directly into the appropriate category on the Forum page. The guidelines provide detailed instructions for submitting entries and voting.
Submitting Contest Entries
- Register here;
- Check your email for the password and log into the site;
- Click “Forum” menu;
- Click “Fiction Category” or “Non-fiction category”, whichever is applicable;
- Click “Add Topic” and paste your story. Please use the title of your story as the Topic Name.
Voting for Contest Entries
- Register here;
- Check your email for the password and log into the site;
- Click “Forum” menu;
- Click “Fiction Category” or “Non-fiction category”, whatever is applicable;
- Click on the entry you want to read or vote for.
- Post reply with the text “+1” in it. For example: “+1 Great work! Good luck in finals!”
- Submitting, voting and reading contest entries are open only to registered users of All Things If. Our Forum is the platform for the contest, so carefully read the instructions above for submitting entries and voting.
- Voting for contest entries is open between April 10 and April 24, 2012. Please see the instructions on how to vote here. You can vote for multiple entries, but only one vote per entry is counted. Votes prior to April 10 or after April 24 are ignored. The top 15 entries will be determined by your voting, after which first-, second- and third-place winners in both categories will be selected by the editorial board of ALL THINGS IFtm.
- Your submission may be to fiction or non-fiction categories (in the corresponding area of the forum), and you are permitted to contribute only one entry to each category.
- Submissions must be original work. Previously published work will be accepted.
- Fiction category entry must be no more than 6,700 words long. Non-fiction category entry must be no more than 2,500 words long. Entries larger than the designated limit will be disqualified.
- Your story must be suitable for general audiences and cannot infringe on the copyrights of other properties like books, movies, television or music. All Things If reserves the right to remove the story from the contest for any reason.
- For the Fiction category, you may submit entries of any genre including, but not limited to, prose, science fiction, fantasy, children’s story and biography.
- For the Non-fiction category, we encourage submitting articles from which the reader may derive some valuable life lesson. Content may include, but is not limited, to psychology and philosophy.
- Deadline for submissions is April 9, 2012 at 9PM EST. Subscriber voting begins April 10, 2012 at 12AM EST and ends April 24, 2012, 9PM EST. Winners will be announced May 1, 2012. Submissions are held in “Moderated” state until they are reviewed by one of the editors (typically 1-2 days). Any submissions received after the submission deadline will be disqualified.
- You may modify the text of your submitted story up until the end of the submission period. Modification will not be allowed after the submission deadline.
- By submitting your entry, you grant All Things If the permission to promote it to the open area of the “All Things If” site at its discretion. Should your entry be promoted to the open area, we will pay author the fee of $25.
By entering and submitting a work into this Contest you acknowledge and agree to all the ALL THINGS IF’S “If you can write …” Writing Contest Terms and Conditions Agreement (insert hyperlink). As a convenience, ALL THINGS IF has provided below a summary of the guidelines and conditions to the Contest. You further acknowledge and agree that the Contest Terms and Conditions Agreement (insert hyperlink) supersedes and controls over the summary of the guidelines and conditions to the Contest listed below. For any questions, please feel free to email us at (insert link).
Terms and Conditions
BY REGISTERING FOR THIS CONTEST [OR BY CLICKING THE “REGISTER” BUTTON], YOU FULLY AND UNCONDITIONALLY AGREE TO COMPLY WITH ALL OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS BELOW. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH ANY OF THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, DO NOT REGISTER FOR THIS CONTEST AND DO NOT SUBMIT A WORK.
COMPLETE OFFICIAL RULES
TERM. The ALL THINGS IF “If you can write …” Writing Contest (the “Contest”) begins at 00:00:00 Eastern Time (“ET”) on February 14, 2012 and ends at 23:59:59 ET April 9, 2012 (the “Contest Period”). Sponsor’s clock is the official time keeping device for this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest and these Terms and Conditions, for any reason, at any time and without any liability. Complete contest dates will be posted on the Site. Any changes in dates will be communicated on the Site.
ELIGIBILITY: The Contest is sponsored by ALL THINGS IF, LLC, Inc. (“Sponsor” or “ALL THINGS IF”) and is open and offered only to individuals age eighteen (18) or older or have expressed permission from their legal guardian at time of registration and are registered users of All Things If’s website who have accepted these Terms and Conditions(eligible “Entrant” or “You”). ALL THINGS IF, LLC, Inc., its affiliates, subsidiaries, and their respective employees, officers, directors, shareholders, representatives, agents, consultants, contractors and their family members are not eligible to participate and will be disqualified. The Contest is void where otherwise prohibited or restricted by law. ALL THINGS IF reserves the right to limit, or restrict upon notice, participation in the Contest to any person who fails to comply with these Terms and Conditions or the Contest Rules, which are listed at http://www.allthingsif.org/if-you-can-write.
CONTEST ENTRY REQUIREMENTS and HOW TO ENTER: To enter the Contest, visit http://www.allthingsif.org/wp-login.php (the “Site”) accurately and truthfully complete the online registration form, accept these Terms and Conditions (hereinafter Terms and Conditions or Agreement) and follow the instructions to complete and submit your Work. Entrants must submit an original work that is either fiction (6,700 word limit) or non-fiction (2,500 word limit) incorporating one principle from Rudyard Kipling’s “IF” and demonstrating the principle’s meaning through the fiction or non-fiction piece (the “Work”). Entrant is limited to submitting only one fictional and one non-fictional Work. The Work must not exceed the aforementioned word limit or risk disqualification. The Work must be submitted by the deadline for submissions, which is April 9, 2012 at 21:00:00 EST (hereinafter “Work Submission Deadline”). Any Works submitted after the Work Submission Deadline will not be considered for voting and will be disqualified from the Contest. Entrant may modify his or her Work submitted until the deadline for submissions. Modification will not be allowed after the Voting Period begins. Sponsor reserves the right to remove and disqualify any submitted Work from the Contest for any reason.
ILLEGAL LOTTERY: Entrant acknowledges and agrees that A PAYMENT OR PURCHASE WILL NOT IMPROVE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. Entrant further acknowledges that the Contest is not a legal or illegal lottery. Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
Phase One –Reader Votes
A qualified Work will be reviewed and voted on by registered users of ALL THINGS IF site. Works submitted must be received by April 9, 2012 at 21:00:00 EST. Voting begins April 10, 2012 and ends April 24, 2012, 9PM EST (hereinafter Voting Period). In order to vote, a voter must visit http://www.allthingsif.org/wp-login.php to login using an existing account or to create a new account. Select “Forum” menu at the top. Next, select either the “Fiction Category” or “Non-Fiction Category” forum. Finally, open topics from the list, and vote for your favorite by posting a reply to the topic with “+1” in it. Any replies not containing “+1” will be considered non-voting comments and ignored when the votes are tallied. Multiple “+1” in the body of the reply, or multiple replies from the same user to the same topic with “+1” text in it, will counted as one (1) vote. Registered users may vote for multiple entries; however, only one vote per entry will be tallied. All votes entered prior or after the Voting Period will be ignored.
Sponsor will announce the top 15 finalists (hereinafter “Finalists”) from phase one on or about April 27, 2012.
Phase Two –Editorial Board Voting
Phase Two will begin on or about April 25, 2012, and we will announce the winners on May 1, 2012 . All Things IF Editorial Board (hereinafter “ Editorial Board”) will select from Finalists one (1) fiction first place winner, one (1) fiction second place winner and one (1) fiction third place winner (hereinafter Fictional Winners) using the following criteria:
1. Relevance to and demonstration of the principles of Rudyard Kipling’s poem “If”
2. Creativity, emotional impact, writing style.
The Editorial Board will also select from Finalists one (1) non-fiction first place winner, one (1) non-fiction second place winner and one (1) non-fiction third place winner (hereinafter Non-Fictional Winners) using the following criteria:
1. Relevance to and demonstration of the principles of Rudyard Kipling’s poem “If”
2. Creativity, emotional impact and writing style.
Fictional Winners and Non-Fictional Winners will be notified by mail, e-mail or telephone (at Sponsor’s discretion using the information provided in the Entry). Fictional Winners prizes and Non-Fictional Winners prizes will be awarded according to the following prize schedule (hereinafter Prize(s)):
* All Amounts shown are in United States Dollars.
Fictional Winners prizes and Non-Fictional Winners agree that all Prizes will be awarded via check in United States Dollars. Fictional Winners prizes and Non-Fictional Winners further agree to submit their full legal name and valid mailing address, as non-compliance may render their Work disqualified or be deemed as a forfeiture of their Prize. If potential Fictional Winners and/or Non-Fictional Winners cannot be reached using the contact information provided or within two attempts, or if the Prize winner notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable, the Prize will be forfeited and an alternate potential Fictional Winner and/or Non-Fictional Winner may be selected. Prizes are not assignable or transferable in whole or in part. No prize substitutions allowed, in whole or in part, except the Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize of comparable value.
WINNERS LIST: For a list of winners, contact Sponsor by mail at the address below addressed to attention: AXP Winner’s List Request. Or, please check the Site for a list of winners’ names.
REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES:
You represent and warrant as follows:
- all registration information is complete, accurate and truthful;
- you are legally competent and able to enter into this Agreement;
- you have consent by your guardian to enter this Agreement if you are under 18 or legally incompetent;
- you are free to enter into this Agreement, and that this engagement does not violate the terms of any agreement between you and any third party;
- no person or entity (including your employer) other than you has any right, title or interest in any part of your submitted Work;
- no other party is entitled to claim royalties from the use of your submitted Work;
- each submitted Work, the use thereof by Sponsor, or the exercise by Sponsor of any of the rights granted by you under these Terms and Conditions, does not and will not infringe or violate any rights of any third party or entity, including, without limitation patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, any other intellectual property rights, defamation, privacy, publicity, false light, misappropriation, confidentiality, or any contractual or other rights;
- your entire submitted Work is an original work by you, and you have all the rights, licenses, permissions and consents necessary to submit submitted Work and to grant all of the rights that you have granted hereunder;
- your submitted Work does not contain content that is inconsistent with the permissible uses outlined by these Terms and Conditions, including, but not limited to, content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, invasive of another’s privacy, vulgar, profane, sexually explicit, obscene, racially or ethnically offensive or otherwise objectionable;
- you will not upload, submit, post or otherwise transmit any submitted Work or content that contains software viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots or any other computer code or files that are designed to disrupt, damage, or limit the functioning of any software or hardware; and
- you are not submitting any confidential, proprietary, or trade secret information.
Entrant grants to ALL THINGS IF, its affiliated companies, their successors, assigns, sponsors and agents, a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, royalty-free, fully paid up, non-exclusive license under all of Entrant’s Intellectual Property Rights (as defined below) to:
- review, assess, test, evaluate, analyze or otherwise consider the submitted Work and any other information provided for the Contest;
- use, make and have made, import, reproduce and have reproduced all or any part of the submitted Work on ALL THINGS IF website; for public display of the submitted Work on ALL THINGS IF website and newsletters, the Entrant, at ALL THINGS IF sole discretion, will be paid a fee of $25 (twenty-five dollars);
- edit the formatting and display of your Work, and to create literary or any other types of effects in respect to your Work on ALL THINGS IF website without compensation or approval. In addition, to the extent that any moral rights (for example, the right to attribution and the right to integrity) apply, you waive (and to the extent that these rights may not be waived, agree irrevocably not to assert) your moral rights in your Work for purposes of this Contest, including, without limitation, our use of excerpts from your Work in connection with the Contest. If you are the Winner, the rights granted by you in the preceding two (2) sentences shall survive termination of the Contest;
“Intellectual Property Rights” means any and all tangible and intangible: (i) copyrights and other rights associated with works of authorship throughout the world, including but not limited to copyrights, neighboring rights, moral rights, and mask works, and all derivative works thereof; (ii) trademark and trade name rights and similar rights; (iii) trade secret rights; (iv) all other intellectual and industrial property rights (of every kind and nature throughout the world and however designated) whether arising by operation of law, contract, license, or otherwise; and (vi) all registrations, applications, renewals, extensions, continuations, divisions, or reissues thereof now or hereafter in force (including any rights in any of the foregoing).
You waive all claims to and shall receive no royalties of any kind, now or in the future, from Sponsor, its affiliates, licensees, successors and assigns for use of your Work submitted. No Work submitted will be received or held “in confidence” and under no circumstance will your submittal of a Work create a confidential relationship or obligation of secrecy between you and ALL THINGS IF or between you and any other party. Entrants should be guided by their own attorneys as to the desirability of seeking intellectual property rights protection or any other protection for their submitted Works. Entrant acknowledges that ALL THINGS IF may currently or in the future be developing information internally, or receiving information from other parties, that is similar to your Work. Accordingly, nothing herein shall prohibit ALL THINGS IF from independently acquiring, developing, or having developed for it, products, concepts, systems, or techniques that are similar to or compete with the products, concepts, systems or techniques contemplated by or embodied in any Work. You recognize that other persons or entities may have provided Sponsor or others, or made public, or may in the future submit, or make public, materials that are the same or similar to your Work. You acknowledge and agree that Sponsor shall have the right to use such same or similar materials, and that you will not be entitled to any compensation arising from Sponsor’s use of such materials. In the event that your Work is identical or similar to the Work of another Entrant, Sponsor reserves the right to score one Work submitted higher than the other subject to the judging criteria set forth above and at the sole discretion of the Judging Panel.
TAX CONSIDERATIONS: Winner is solely responsible for any local, provincial, state, federal or any other applicable taxes, and any other costs, expenses and fees connected with the prize. Entrant must provide tax related documentation as requested by the Sponsor to meet its tax reporting obligations.
RIGHTS OF PUBLICITY: By participating in the Contest, you consent to the worldwide use of your name, biographical information, photographs, videos or likenesses in any manner and in any medium now in existence or later invented for any purpose in connection with the Contest without additional compensation, notification or permission, except where prohibited by law.
Neither Sponsor, nor its employees, officers, directors, agents, contractors, representatives, affiliates, divisions, subsidiaries, resellers, dealers, distributors, sponsors, advertising/promotion agencies (“Released Parties”) shall assume any responsibility whatsoever for delayed, failed, partial or garbled computer transmissions; technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to lost, interrupted or unavailable network, server, Internet Service Provider (ISP), website or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone or cable transmissions, lines or technical failures or difficulties; direct or indirect intellectual property infringement; the incorrect or inaccurate capture or failure to capture information whether caused by Site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Contest, Entry, or other information; the failure to capture any such information; or errors of any kind whether human, mechanical, electronic, network or otherwise arising out of or relating to the Contest, theft, loss, destruction or damage to Works submitted, in whole or in part, or other factors beyond their reasonable control. Once submitted, an entry cannot be deleted or cancelled. Except in cases of death or personal injury caused by negligence, Released Parties are not responsible for injury or damage to Entrants’ or to any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in the Contest or downloading materials from or use of the Site. Persons who tamper with or abuse any aspect of the Contest or Site, as solely determined by Sponsor, will be disqualified. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PERSON TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE THE SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION IS A VIOLATION OF APPLICABLE CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW (AND TO DISQUALIFY SUCH PERSON FROM THE PROMOTION, IF APPLICABLE). Any Entrant ALL THINGS IF suspects of attempting to circumvent the Terms and Conditions of this Contest, including but not limited to using false e-mail and/or addresses, multiple identities or other fraudulent or deceptive entry methods, may be disqualified. In the event of a dispute as to the source of any Works submitted, the authorized account holder of the email address used to enter will be deemed to be the person submitting the Work. The authorized “account holder” is the natural person assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the submitted address.
LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY AND RELEASE: ENTRANTS AGREE THAT SPONSOR, ITS AFFILIATES, DIVISIONS, SUBSIDIARIES, RESELLERS, DEALERS, DISTRIBUTORS, ADVERTISING/PROMOTION AGENCIES, AND ALL OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, EMPLOYEES, CONTRACTORS, REPRESENTATIVES, SPONSORS AND AGENTS (“RELEASED PARTIES”) WILL HAVE NO LIABILITY WHATSOEVER FOR, AND WILL BE RELEASED AND HELD HARMLESS BY ENTRANT FOR ANY CLAIMS, LIABILITIES, OR CAUSES OF ACTION OF ANY KIND OR NATURE FOR ANY INJURY, LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES TO PERSONS, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DISABILITY OR DEATH, EXCEPT IN CASES OF DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY CAUSED BY NEGLIGENCE, AND DAMAGE TO PROPERTY, DUE IN WHOLE OR IN PART, ARISING DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY, NOW OR IN THE FUTURE FROM THE DELIVERY, ACCEPTANCE, USE OR MISUSE OF THE PRIZE, ANY AND ALL USE AS PROVIDED HEREIN OF THEIR ENTRY, OR PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST AND/OR ANY RELATED ACTIVITY. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON THE SITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, IN WHICH CASE SUCH LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION SHALL APPLY ONLY TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY THE LAW IN THE RELEVANT JURISDICTION.
CHOICE OF LAW: This Contest and any action related thereto shall be governed, controlled, interpreted and defined by and under the laws of the State of Georgia and the United States, without regard to the conflicts of laws provisions thereof. The exclusive jurisdiction and venue of any action with respect to the subject matter of these Terms and Conditions shall be the state courts of the State of Georgia for the County of Fulton County or the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia and each of the parties hereto submits itself to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of such courts for the purpose of any such action. The parties specifically disclaim the UN Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods. Any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Contest, but in no event attorneys’ fees. Entrants hereby waive all rights to (i) claim or be awarded any punitive, direct, indirect, incidental, and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and (ii) to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased, including for willful patent infringement.
No Interference: During the course of the Agreement and for a period of twelve (12) months immediately following the expiration or termination of the Agreement for any reason, whether with or without good cause or for any or no cause, at the option of either party, with or without notice, the Entrant will not, either directly or indirectly, interfere with ALL THINGS IF, LLC ’s contracts and relationships, or prospective contracts and relationships, including, but not limited to, ALL THINGS IF, LLC’s customer or client contracts and relationships.
Severability: If any provision hereof is found by a tribunal of competent jurisdiction to be illegal, invalid, or unenforceable, such provision will be enforced to the maximum extent possible, and the validity, legality, and enforceability of the remaining provisions contained herein will not in any way be affected or impaired thereby, and this Agreement will be interpreted and construed as if such provision, to the extent the same has been held invalid, illegal, or unenforceable, had never been contained herein.
Waiver: No failure of any party hereto to exercise any power given under this Agreement or to insist upon strict compliance with any obligation specified in this Agreement and no custom or variance with the terms of this Agreement shall constitute a waiver of any party’s right to demand exact compliance with the terms of this Agreement. No waiver or alleged waiver shall be effective unless in writing and signed by the party against whom such waiver is sought to be enforced.
Amendments, Modifications, and Prior Agreement: Entrant agrees that this is the entire Agreement and that no amendments or modifications of this Agreement shall be valid or binding upon ALL THINGS IF, LLC. unless made in writing and signed by the parties hereto. All prior understandings and agreements relating to the subject matter of this Agreement are hereby expressly terminated. The parties also agree that any reliance on any future or past promise is both unreasonable and unenforceable.
Notice: Entrant agrees any and all notices or any other communication under this Agreement shall be given in writing and shall be personally delivered or deposited in the United States mail, designated as registered or certified mail, return receipt requested, bearing adequate first class postage and addressed as hereinafter provided:
ALL THINGS IF, LLC.
415 Sable Court
Milton, Georgia 30004
Attention: Susan Hawkins, Senior Editor
SPONSOR:All Things If, LLC., 415 Sable Court, Milton, Georgia 30004